Kindness & Respect
With all the stress that everyone is facing, I’m aware of a number of incidents where people have treated retail workers and call centre people with contempt and anger. In difficult circumstances it is easy to take your frustration out on others. The better option – we rise above our circumstances, go the extra mile and treat others with kindness and respect.
Why is kindness important:
- Makes you attractive (others are attracted to those who are kind)
- You are a positive influence in our society
- You receive kindness in return
- The Bible has many verses talking about kindness. Colossians 3:12 summarizes it well. “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”
- Makes you feel good in return (releases serotonin)
- Health benefits (releases Oxytocin helping blood pressure and related health issues)
- Reverses the effects of stress & depression (something many of us need at this time)
How can we show kindness:
- Kind words (you can make your point without being rude)
- Expressing appreciation (thank you)
- Engage in conversation
- Be a good listener
- When feeling frustrated or angry, exercise self control
“Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – Dennis Prager
What can you do this week to show kindness and respect towards those who serve us?
Have a great week!